You know that show, "I survived" on Biography where people tell the stories where they survived car crashes and getting lost in the snow for a month or getting kidnapped by the Mexican mafia?
I think there needs to be a show for the rest of us who have survived things that are not life-threatending, but no less painful, scary, and challenging (ok, maybe a little less).
Like, for instance, I have one friend who survived 9 hours on a plane sitting on the runway with a 2 year old!
I have another friend who survived a horrifying overnight bus trip with her two young girls from DC to Florida.
And most recently I survived 2 weeks without my dishwasher!
Here's how I managed...
1. Rubber gloves - to avoid dry, chapped, sore hands
2. GOOD dishsoap like Clorox Greenworks and Dawn - both of these cut grease and get that baked-on stuff to come off
3. Stay on top of it - don't let the entire day's worth of dishes pile up. I tried to do them at least twice a day.
4. Plastic cups - as much as I hated using them, it saved me a lot of time not having to wash every single glass and cup we used. We did reuse a water glass for the day but the girls are always grabbing milk or juice and I just couldn't keep washing their cups.
5. Assign other chores - because emptying the dishwasher is one of the chorse assigned to the Twofer, they had it easy and I had it rough the last two weeks. It wasn't worth it to have them put the dishes away because we just kept reusing the ones as I cleaned them. What I did do was assign other chores to them to fill that time so they don't forget the still have a role in this family.
Have you survived something lately? I would love to hear how you got through it!