OK, so this is really cool. I came across this company on twittermoms and had to give them a little plug because it's such a cool idea!
I've mentioned before that kid's birthday parties (including my own bash for the twfoer) can often get over-the-top. And I can't even begin to think about how eco-UNfriendly that 5-year party was! Well ECHoage can help parents make their child’s party a little greener, a lot less messier, and helps engage ALL participants in a discussion about giving. Plus, the birthday boys and girls are loving it because they get to pick one or two BIG gifts and they FEEL GOOD about their choices.
Here’s the scoop:
When you sign up to ECHOage your party you pick an online invitation design, pick a charity, and invite your guests. Guests are encouraged to give a secure online gift of money instead of a wrapped present when they RSVP. ECHOage then pools the payments and sends half to the charity you chose. The other half is sent back to you to purchase one BIG gift for your child.
Here's why I find this so attractive (and y'all know how I love to make lists)
- Greener, Cleaner, and Nicer Online invitations mean less paper.
- Fewer packaged gifts means less paper, plastic, and packaging to discard.
- Guests have the opportunity to learn about charity and the gift of giving to others instead of bringing a wrapped present.
- Birthday boys and girls get to choose which charity will benefit from their generosity and leaves them with a really good feeling.
- Secure online giving is easy and parents don’t have to shop, wrap or remember a gift (yea! no more leaving the gift on the kitchen table!).
- Host parents can choose to include their child in choosing the BIG gift, or surprise them at the party!
ECHOage has thought of just about every concern too so check out their FAQs if you are considering an ECHOage party. Even if you aren’t ready to have an ECHOage party, they have great language to use when you sit down and start talking to your kids about charity and what it means to give.
Here’s a big Twofer Thumbs Up to ECHOage for the One Gift-One Cause birthday party option!
Feeling a little more socially responsible,